National Bone and Joint Week in India is celebrated on 1st to 8th August to raise awareness of bone disease prevention, management and treatment. August 4, 2022, is a health observance of National Bone and Joint Day to acquaint people with disorders like osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, back discomfort, and trauma and to discuss the diagnosis and treatment of these.
Read further to learn how these conditions impact the bones and joints and how to prevent them. This year's National bone and joint activities have as their theme the prevention of deformity in degenerative disease. The Indian Orthopedic Association launched this campaign in 2012 and chose to emphasize the value of preventing injuries in contact sports, issues with self-medication, and treatments that are not supported by science and could result in deformity. Stronger bones and stronger India is the theme for this year, with healthier bones leading to a stronger society and country.
What Are The Goals of National Bone and Joint Week 2022 in India?
Bone and Joint Day 2022 India is a chance to educate the public on the growing impact of musculoskeletal illnesses and to advocate for affordable prevention and treatment. The two objectives for this week are excellent orthopedic care and optimal bone health.
Why Is it Important To Achieve Goals of Bone and Joint Action Week?
Due to weak bones in late adolescence, poor bone health adds a significant burden to musculoskeletal diseases and reduces labor capacity and performance. Along with the clinical burden that requires treatment, there has been a significant decrease in average. It's crucial that every citizen achieves ideal bone health. Every citizen must receive a minimal level of care for orthopedic ailments, but the majority of people do not receive this care, which over time increases disability and physical handicaps.
What Are Some Common Bone And Joint Diseases Affecting People?
- Bone trauma is partial or complete break in bone
- Arthritis is pain and stiffness in joints due to inflammation occurring with age
- Bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis
- Pediatric bone diseases that occur in children
What Are The Seven Key Health Evaluations To Safeguard Bones And Joints?
- Physical examination in which external appearance of bones and joints is judged to provide appropriate treatment or medical aid to resolve any medical condition
- Range of motion testing in which the ability and extent of movements is conducted.
- Bone density scan where signs and severity of osteoporosis is identified.
- X-rays are more commonly used to capture the site and nature of bone or joint diseases.
- Palpitation to assess aberrant changes in bone or joint by touch.
- Synovial fluid aspiration where synovial fluid from affected joints is extracted to analyze for infections or inflammatory reactions.
- Arthrography where a dye is injected in joints to establish triggers of unexpected joint pain.
What Is The Precaution Mantra For Preventing Bone And Joint Troubles?
- Build strong bones and joints through regular exercise and lifestyle modifications
- Eat dairy products and green leafy vegetables in plenty
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D like tuna, cod liver oil, oysters, shrimps, eggs (consume safe and healthy foods)
- Avoid coffee smoking and alcohol
- Take long walks on grass early morning and short walks in sunlight too
- According to The Burden of Musculoskeletal Conditions in the United States, more than half the American population over the age of 18 - 54 percent are affected by musculoskeletal (bone and joint) conditions.
- One in three (33%) people over the age of 18 required medical care for a musculoskeletal condition in each of the years 2009 to 2011, a 19% increase over the last decade.
- Bone and joint conditions are the most common cause of severe long-term pain and physical disability worldwide affecting hundreds of millions of people.
- Musculoskeletal conditions include back pain, arthritis, traumatic injuries, osteoporosis, spinal deformity, and childhood conditions.
- The global prevalence of musculoskeletal conditions is predicted to increase greatly due to increasing life expectancy and changes in risk factors unless new treatments and preventive measures are found.
- Musculoskeletal conditions can lead to significant disability plus diminished productivity and quality of life. Treatment and lost wage costs associated with musculoskeletal diseases in the U.S. alone was estimated at $874 billion in 2009 to 2011 - equal to 5.73 percent of gross domestic product (GDP).
- Research funding is currently less than 2 percent of the National Institutes of Health annual budget, and continues to decline each year despite the high costs associated with injuries, arthritis, and back pain.
- Since 2011, when "Baby Boomers" became beneficiaries of Medicare, the economic and societal cost of bone and joint health escalated and is expected to continue for decades.
- In India, bone and joint week starts on 4th August while in other countries like the United States, it starts on October 12 and ends by October 20.
Visit Project Global Cure to raise awareness on this subject and help people in early diagnosis and curbing their bone diseases.
Contact usRequest a Proposal